Thursday, February 20, 2020

My Miracle - Thankful To Be Alive


When I was in Basic Training, we had a day – a Friday, for some reason – in which we learned how and got to actually throw a hand-grenade. We were divided into small groups of soldiers moving between the different practice stations. Upon completion we were moved toward the practical part  first throwing a practice grenade and then moving on to the real deal.

Having completed most of the practice stations, I moved on to the last one, which was: what to do if the grenade falls in the radius of where you’re standing. What we had to do was, at the drop of a rock that symbolized the grenade, run out of the area and then fling ourselves onto the ground, with our hands covering our heads. When it was my turn, I did just that, and as I hit the ground at raised my hands, I felt a horrible, horrible crack in my shoulder and my arm, uncontrollably, snapped to my side.

It took almost two years, well after my service, before I learned that my shoulder muscles had torn, maybe quite badly (I’m still in the middle of checkups), but at that moment I was in terrible pain. None of the sergeants had any idea what my problem was, and I could see it written on their faces: I was surely faking. That’s how the military mentality is: A guy could be the most obedient soldier, but if he says he isn’t feeling well in the middle of training, it must mean that he’s faking. I don’t blame them: My shoulder had dislocated and snapped back into place on its own – and this is a condition that nobody I know has ever heard of. When I later explained what I felt to the unit’s medical officer (not a trained doctor, mind you), he raised his eyebrows and said: No way your shoulder dislocated. You wouldn’t be able to move it if that’s what happened. I had the last (cynical) laugh years later when it turned out that I had been right.

So, barely able to move my arm, certainly not able to put on the bulletproof vest that we had to wear when throwing the real grenades, I wasn’t able to throw that day and instead threw one a few weeks later.

Anyway, in most of my medical problems, I don’t usually question why Hashem gave me those. In some cases, yes. But this wasn’t one of those cases. And yet, I found myself thinking about it on Wednesday night, when an incredible realization dawned on me: What would have happened if my shoulder had torn and subsequently dislocated and snapped into place that first time – maybe half just half an hour later? It could’ve been just when I was supposed to remove the pin and toss the grenade – it could’ve actually fallen in the throwing station – and chas v’shalom, I may not be alive today to write down this!

This realization struck me: I have been saved by Hashem. And it took me almost three years to come to this realization.

And as I continued to dwell on this realization over the next day, I realized: On Rosh Hashanah of that year, the Heavenly Court may have decided: Harel is going to be terribly injured or killed chas v’shalom during grenade-training. And then Hashem rose up and said: Wait, Harel has yet to fulfill his duty in this world (whatever that may be). I’m letting him off easy with a shoulder injury!

And I’ll end with a quote from Rabbi Ari Bensoussan: “מה יתאונן האדם חי – דיו שהוא חי! , You’re alive! What more do you possibly need?!”

Thank you Hashem.

No comments:

Post a Comment